Google has made recent changes that make it stricter when permitting your students to access Google sign on to third party apps (like Speakable). If your students see a message that says:"Access blocked: Your institution's admin needs to review Speakable"Pass this article on to your school (or district) IT department for them to unblock Speakable from their Google Workspace for Education account.
Instructions For Google Workspace account managers
Configure access for requested third-party appsIn the Admin console, you can review third-party apps users designated under 18 have requested access to. For apps you want to allow users designated as under 18 to access, you need to configure access settings, using the steps below.
- In your Google Admin console (at admin.google.com)...
- On the home page, in the App access control card, you see:
- Apps pending review—How many apps users designated as under 18 have requested access to.
- User requests—The number of users who requested access. Note: Multiple users might have requested the same app. Click Review apps.
- In Apps pending review, the requested apps are sorted by the number of user requests. Tip: Before deciding which apps to configure access for, review information for each app:
- User requests—The number of users who requested access to the app
- Org units with requests—The number and name of organizational units in which users requested access
- Requestable services—Google data the app previously requested to access from Google users Click the app name to see app details.
- For apps you want to make accessible to users designated as under 18, point to the app and click Configure access.
- For apps you want to block for users designated as under 18 to access, you have two options:
- Leave as is—If you don’t configure access within 6 months, the app is removed from the list.
- Dismiss or block the app—Point at the app and click Dismiss to remove it. Or, you can configure access for the app and choose Block to prevent it reappearing in the list.
- Check the box for organizational units you want to configure access for. Note: You can select up to 10 organizational units. If you’re configuring more than 10, use bulk updates. Learn about bulk updates.
- Click Configure access.
- (Optional) Under Scope, update the organizational units to configure access for, if needed.
- Under Access to Google data, select one of the following access settings, and click Continue. The setting you select is applied to all organizational units selected previously under Scope.
- Trusted—Users can sign in with Google to the third-party app and the app can request access to Google data, both restricted and unrestricted Google services.
- Limited—Users can sign in with Google to the third-party app and the app can request access only to unrestricted Google data.
- Blocked—Users can’t sign in with Google to the third-party app and the app can’t request access to any Google data.