When it comes to integrating AI into our classroom, we're likely to hesitate and think things like:“Is AI dangerous?”, “Is AI a threat?”, “Is AI safe for my students?”.As language teachers, we want to protect their privacy and make sure that the AI tools we use are a safe place for them.So, can we relate AI with safety? Good news is that it's totally doable by knowing:
In order to make sure AI tools are safe to use in your classroom with students, follow these 9 steps:1. Do some research
2. Check data privacy rules
3. Understand how it works
4. Check safety measures
5. Keep what's needed
6. Learn how to use it
7. Report issues
8. Stay updated
9. Plan for the end
AI tools and platforms used in education may collect data from students. Whether they gather this information depends on 2 things: How the tool is set up and the permissions granted during its use. So here are 3 key points to consider:
- When using AI tools, get permission from students and parents or guardians. This is especially important when students are kids. We need to be able to explain what information is being collected, how the tool is using it and how is it keeping it safe.
- These tools usually collect data for a reason. It could be for tracking students’ progress or improving its functionality. We have to make sure that the information they collect is only for education’s sake. Good tools don't gather more information than necessary.
- They should only keep data for as long as it's useful for teaching and learning. Students should have the right to see, change or delete their own information if they need to. It’s important that we know how to help them with this.
A combination of AI and safety sounds nice and it's totally doable. Here are 3 ways to get that:
1. Intelligent Tutoring Systems (ITS):Use ITS to provide students with safe learning experiences.These systems can help with grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation.ITS look at what your students do, figure out what they can get better at and give them helpful advice. They learn at their own speed and get personalized help in a safe place.
2. Language Learning Apps with AI Features:These apps contain fun exercises, can understand what students say and simulate real conversations.When choosing an app like this, make sure it keeps students' data safe and follows the proper security rules. Now you know how 😉Get students to use these apps during your lessons and at home, so they practice what they learn in class. Remind them to keep their information private.
3. Virtual Language Assistants:These helpers can answer questions and show how to pronounce words. They also help students to do speaking and listening practice.Virtual language assistants such as voice-activated AI devices, can enhance your teaching methodsYou can also use them to foster student interaction.
Now that you know how to test AI tools’ safety, you can integrate them into your language classroom without hesitating.When using AI tools in language teaching, we need to make sure that everyone knows what's happening with their information, since it’s private.Make students feel they're always safe and supported in your classroom. Don't forget their parents!
Speakable is a language learning app with AI features that ensures students safety: